Saturday, January 2, 2010

Book List

These are books that I am currently reading or considering:

Moby Dick - Herman Melville - I might need this for a class I'm thinking about taking and I've never read it. My professor kept saying that he thought this was one of the best examples of the Great American Novel.

No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy - Yes, I've seen the movie, and from what I've read so far and what I remember of the movie, the movie seems to be pretty true to the book. You'll have to take my word for it that I read it.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon - One of those books that has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while, but I never got around to reading. I think I heard an interview with the author which piqued my interest. It won a Pulitzer Prize, so hopefully it will be a worthwhile read.

The Lexicographer's Dilemma - Jack Lynch - This has to do with the evolution of "Proper" English. I love things to do with the history of language. This would be an example of the type of non-fiction book in which I would be interested.

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson - according to the author, this is a book about life, the universe and everything, from the Big Bang to the ascendancy of Homo sapiens. Another example of what I regard as interesting non-fiction.

Well, that's a start. I'll be amending and re-prioritizing the list as I deem necessary. Feel free to add suggestions!

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting choices. I've not read Moby Dick yet either so look forward to hearing what you think about it. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m gonna try 52 books this year, mainly because I don’t read books like I used, and I need spend less time on the Internet. I invite others to keep me in check throughout the year: http://fiftytwobooksnfiftytwoweeks.posterous.com/

    I see you have A Short History of Nearly Everything on your list. Excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bakari,
    Short History has been on my "I really need to get around to reading that" list for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to hearing about these books--especially the Michael Chabon book. He's an author I've been tempted to dive into but know little about.

    Jenni

    (I'm also doing the 52 books project at jennibbaker.com)

    ReplyDelete