Saturday, December 18, 2010

Book 44 - The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

Although this selection is an international bestseller, and has been translated into 67 different languages, I'd never heard of it until I started the challenge. While discussing books that I was planning to read with a friend, she told me that this was one of her favorite books of all time, and suggested that I include it in my reading list. Unfortunately, she passed away this past summer, before I got a chance to read it. I figured I owed it to her to include it in the challenge.

Book 44 - The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

The Alchemist is a fable about pursuing your life's dream, or as the book calls it, your "personal legend." Coelho's tale, like most good fables, is a simple one. It tells of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd who has a recurring dream about finding a great treasure near the Egyptian pyramids. He meets a man who calls himself the King of Salem, and who claims his purpose is to encourage people to follow their personal legend. The man informs him that this recurring dream is Santiago's personal legend, and tells him that he must follow it. Santiago is reluctant at first, but the man seems to have mystical powers and seems to know many things about Santiago that he couldn't possibly know, so Santiago decides to sell his flock and embark on the journey.

He suffers many great setbacks along the way. More than once he loses everything he owns. He faces death and injury at the hands of thieves and warring desert tribes. Along the way, he meets an Englishman studying alchemy, from whom he learns the value of knowledge. He meets a two hundred year old alchemist, who teaches him the value of wisdom, how to listen to his heart, and how to connect with the Soul of the World. He meets Fatima, who he immediately recognizes as the love of his life, and who loves him so deeply that she is willing to let him go to pursue his personal legend. Ultimately he finds the treasure he seeks in the place he least expects it to be.

The book's beauty truly lies in it's simplicity. While there is much mysticism, the plot is simple, the language straightforward, and the truths it puts forth are pure. Follow your dream. Listen to your heart. Connect with the world around you. These messages resonate with many people, so I can understand why it is a hugely popular book.

With the challenge deadline approaching, I almost always have a book with me, just in case I find myself with a bit of downtime and want to read a few pages. I was approached more than once by complete strangers who saw me with this book and felt compelled to come up to me and tell me what an inspirational book it was, and how much I was going to enjoy reading it. One person noted that my copy was a library book and informed me that once had I read it, I was going to want to buy a copy for myself, so I could read it over and over again. While I may not share their level of enthusiasm, I still have to say that I found the book to be a most enjoyable read, and I certainly wouldn't rule out a repeat read at some point in the future.


1 comment:

  1. I really like this book as well. Really sticks with you.

    ReplyDelete